Bookmark and Share  
Home Forum Index Politics Philosophy Diversions Theology Join Tips & Rules
SelectSmart.com SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Army deploys combat unit in US for possible civil unrest starting Oct 1. What do you think prompted this?

Posted by PowerToThePeople 
I remember someone posting this story, but there wasn't much of a discussion on it. What do you all think they're gearing up for? This is highly unusual, no?

For the first time ever, the US military is deploying an active duty regular Army combat unit for full-time use inside the United States to deal with emergencies, including potential civil unrest.

Beginning on October 1, the First Brigade Combat Team of the Third Division will be placed under the command of US Army North, the Army’s component of the Pentagon’s Northern Command (NorthCom), which was created in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks with the stated mission of defending the US “homeland” and aiding federal, state and local authorities.

The unit—known as the “Raiders”—is among the Army’s most “blooded.” It has spent nearly three out of the last five years deployed in Iraq, leading the assault on Baghdad in 2003 and carrying out house-to-house combat in the suppression of resistance in the city of Ramadi. It was the first brigade combat team to be sent to Iraq three times.

While active-duty units previously have been used in temporary assignments, such as the combat-equipped troops deployed in New Orleans, which was effectively placed under martial law in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, this marks the first time that an Army combat unit has been given a dedicated assignment in which US soil constitutes its “battle zone.”

The Pentagon’s official pronouncements have stressed the role of specialized units in a potential response to terrorist attack within the US. Gen. George Casey, the Army chief of staff, attended a training exercise last week for about 250 members of the unit at Fort Stewart, Georgia. The focus of the exercise, according to the Army’s public affairs office, was how troops “might fly search and rescue missions, extract casualties and decontaminate people following a catastrophic nuclear attack in the nation’s heartland.”

“We are at war with a global extremist network that is not going away,” Casey told the soldiers. “I hope we don’t have to use it, but we need the capability.”

However, the mission assigned to the nearly 4,000 troops of the First Brigade Combat Team does not consist merely of rescuing victims of terrorist attacks. An article that appeared earlier this month in the Army Times (“Brigade homeland tours start Oct. 1”), a publication that is widely read within the military, paints a different and far more ominous picture.

“They may be called upon to help with civil unrest and crowd control,” the paper reports. It quotes the unit’s commander, Col. Robert Cloutier, as saying that the 1st BCT’s soldiers are being trained in the use of “the first ever nonlethal package the Army has fielded.” The weapons, the paper reported, are “designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.” The equipment includes beanbag bullets, shields and batons and equipment for erecting roadblocks.

It appears that as part of the training for deployment within the US, the soldiers have been ordered to test some of this non-lethal equipment on each other.

“I was the first guy in the brigade to get Tasered,” Cloutier told the Army Times. He described the effects of the electroshock weapon as “your worst muscle cramp ever—times 10 throughout your whole body.”

The colonel’s remark suggests that, in preparation for their “homefront” duties, rank-and-file troops are also being routinely Tasered. The brutalizing effect and intent of such a macabre training exercise is to inure troops against sympathy for the pain and suffering they may be called upon to inflict on the civilian population using these same “non-lethal” weapons.

According to military officials quoted by the Army Times, the deployment of regular Army troops in the US begun with the First Brigade Combat Team is to become permanent, with different units rotated into the assignment on an annual basis.

In an online interview with reporters earlier this month, NorthCom officers were asked about the implications of the new deployment for the Posse Comitatus Act, the 230-year-old legal statute that bars the use of US military forces for law enforcement purposes within the US itself.

Col. Lou Volger, NorthCom’s chief of future operations, tried to downplay any enforcement role, but added, “We will integrate with law enforcement to understand the situation and make sure we’re aware of any threats.”

Volger acknowledged the obvious, that the Brigade Combat Team is a military force, while attempting to dismiss the likelihood that it would play any military role. It “has forces for security,” he said, “but that’s really—they call them security forces, but that’s really just to establish our own footprint and make sure that we can operate and run our own bases.”

Lt. Col. James Shores, another NorthCom officer, chimed in, “Let’s say even if there was a scenario that developed into a branch of a civil disturbance—even at that point it would take a presidential directive to even get it close to anything that you’re suggesting.”

Whatever is required to trigger such an intervention, clearly Col. Cloutier and his troops are preparing for it with their hands-on training in the use of “non-lethal” means of repression.

The extreme sensitivity of the military brass on this issue notwithstanding, the reality is that the intervention of the military in domestic affairs has grown sharply over the last period under conditions in which its involvement in two colonial-style wars abroad has given it a far more prominent role in American political life.

The Bush administration has worked to tear down any barriers to the use of the military in domestic repression. Thus, in the 2007 Pentagon spending bill it inserted a measure to amend the Posse Comitatus Act to clear the way for the domestic deployment of the military in the event of natural disaster, terrorist attack or “other conditions in which the president determines that domestic violence has occurred to the extent that state officials cannot maintain public order.”

The provision granted the president sweeping new powers to impose martial law by declaring a “public emergency” for virtually any reason, allowing him to deploy troops anywhere in the US and to take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of state governors in order to “suppress public disorder.”

The provision was subsequently repealed by Congress as part of the 2008 military appropriations legislation, but the intent remains. Given the sweeping powers claimed by the White House in the name of the “commander in chief” in a global war on terror—powers to suspend habeas corpus, carry out wholesale domestic spying and conduct torture—there is no reason to believe it would respect legal restrictions against the use of military force at home.

It is noteworthy that the deployment of US combat troops “as an on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters”—in the words of the Army Times—coincides with the eruption of the greatest economic emergency and financial disaster since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Justified as a response to terrorist threats, the real source of the growing preparations for the use of US military force within America’s borders lies not in the events of September 11, 2001 or the danger that they will be repeated. Rather, the domestic mobilization of the armed forces is a response by the US ruling establishment to the growing threat to political stability.

Under conditions of deepening economic crisis, the unprecedented social chasm separating the country’s working people from the obscenely wealthy financial elite becomes unsustainable within the existing political framework.

[www.congresscheck.com]
I've recently reinvested in personal armament. I now have a scoped Ruger Mini-14 and Glock 9mm. Bring it on.

If the fascists steal the election and deploy the 3d Divison, I obviously can't stop their advances (BTW, I went to Fort Knox's Armor school and qualified on the M60AI tank) with a few small arms, but I WILL resist if they take to the streets after election theft.

Yo, FBI, you monitoring all this? Bring it on.

http://www.gambling911.com/George-Bush-Funny.gif
They plan to vote early in Ohio. Are you going to tell them they can't?

So what has got BushCo up in such a tizzy that it's withdrawing a combat unit from Iraq and placing it on alert here in America? What are they expecting to happen? Here are some possibilities:

- an unpopular election result

- a suspension of the presidential election

- an assassination of a popular political figure

- an economy that crashes so badly as to cause pandemonium

- an attack

Because of the timing, if I had to pick one, it would be the first one I listed or possibly the second. I think it's election-related as opposed to economy-related.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 10:12PM by PowerToThePeople.
OK. But what exactly can 4000 troops do against civil unrest across the whole country or even in several places at once, let alone impose martial law on the whole country?

HHH, if there was some sort of major civil unrest in a major city, what do you think just the psychological effect would be of even several hundred armed Army personnel showing up in attack vehicles armed with "non-lethal" deterants in the streets of the United States of America? Even the fact that they are here now and have let us know about it has had some psychological effect they must see as beneficial to them. This to me obviously is akin to posting a big "Beware of Dog" sign on the fence in advance of what they think might be a civil unrest problem in the possible future.

http://imgdump.novarata.net/image.php?di=WN26
I've read that it could be upto three or mor permenant brigades in the USA. Tha's almost 15,000 active Army combat troops. Couple tha with the hundreds of thousands ofpara-militay local and state police officers, the FBI, HS officers and private mercenary and security companies and you've got a force that could be goose-stepping down evey major city street in the country.

They won't impose a nationwide martial law. They will do it in specific places, manipulate the media and stae "events" to jusify it all, much like what happened at the RNC. You will be fed a long line of talking heads saying things like "Well, this was necessary to keepthose violent anarchists from disrupting traffic and business as usual." They will lift it and tell everyone that they did a "good job" in supressing the violent extremists who hate us for our freedoms.

Then youcan feel good "becaus it's not happening here" and it's necessary to "protect private property" all the while justifying to yourslf that it's not really a police stae and te fascists don' really rule, becaus afterall this is America right? And that certainly can't happen here.

The first time thes combat brigades are used against citizens it will change the game. No more will there be peacefull protests. There will be an American Insurgency.

Molotov cocktails still cook tanks. Improvised Explosive Devices work just as well in America as they do in Iraq. Snipers in the buildings, fields and homes are just as effective as they are anywhere else.

It would be a mistake of unprecedented proportions for them to use these guys in the US. It would be war in America.
I would agree with all of that, Cascade.

But no one answered my question. Sheesh, is this "Dodge PTTP's Questions Sunday"?

What is prompting this unusual domestic deployment of our armed forces (and probably private paramilitary personnel)??????
Apparently a belief there aren't enough paramilitary/police forces available to contain unrest in even one major urban area in the United States.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 10:32PM by PowerToThePeople.
Economic colapse couple with a growing sense that our federal government is shreadding the constitutional principles that our nation was founded on.

I think that the deployment has been a while in coming as Bush has tried, numerous times, to ammend Posse Comitatus to allow exactly what's happening.

People are getting pissed and they're not going to stand for it much longer. I think that the likelihood that the "protests" are going to turn violent or a regular basis is growing and the police riots don't help.

People are buying guns, thinking about the realities of a "revolution" or at least a new civil war in order to reinstate the constitution and they are talking about it openly and in defiance of the federal government.

The deployment of active duty combat troops to the US is not jus a psychological ploy todecrease this kind of talk and get people to shut te hell up through scare tactics. I think that the Federal Government sees a need in the near future for jack-booted thugs to impose thier rule on Americans.

As they continue to take our country down an unprecidented path there are more and more people who are refusing to comply and compromise. I think that scares the hell out of them and they are taking steps (from FEMA concentration camps to the deployment of combat brigades) to ensure that corporate power remains entrenched in the US.

One indicator of this is the fat that the bailout bill has empowered the IRS with extra-judicial police enforcement powers.

I think that they are desperate and tey know that our situation is MUCh wors than what we're being told through the MSM.

Someone shoots Obama, it's all over. The economy sinks into a real depression, it's all over. We start a war with Iran (this one seems to me the catalyst that will spark the mos civil unrest), it's all over. The People will start shooting back.
Um, yeah. Someone's calling me from across the room Talk to ya later.

And remember to stock up on ammo.

Guns are worthless if you can't reload.
I guess I should remind you guys that Big Brother is watching. He even admitted it, remember?

Which reminds me - When's the last time Psycho Sid posted here?

The only thing your guns are going to protect you from is other civilians.

Let me ask a third time: Why do you think that Bush has deployed the First Brigade Combat Team of the Third Division to America?

I haven't heard from Curt, jazzman, whatsaname, thetruth, myce, linc, Henry, pb, or Toe (did I miss anybody?) and HHH seems to be fresh out of intelligent comments. Is it that you guys don't care, or are you in denial that something terribly bad is happening to America?

I think the deployment has everything to do with the election. When Obama "loses", or the election is suspended, there's going to be trouble. And as America sinks deeper and deeper into economic turmoil, there's going to be more and more trouble, even pandemonium, which is why "the deployment of regular Army troops in the US begun with the First Brigade Combat Team is to become permanent, with different units rotated into the assignment on an annual basis."

That's a curious statement. Who decided that this is to be permanent? And why would the assumption be that the next president would go along with this? Think about the implications of that statement.

And wake the f*ck up.

"When they say there’s not enough money, they mean there’s not enough money for YOU." - Jill Stein, Green Party presidential nominee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 07:28PM by PowerToThePeople.
PTTP - How specific do I have to be? Should I call my numerous contacts in the CIA and Defense Dept. for a more complete response? They are probably being deployed in case of a severe emergency of some kind of a size they could handle.

I think that the deployment has been a while in coming as Bush has tried, numerous times, to ammend Posse Comitatus to allow exactly what's happening.

People are getting pissed and they're not going to stand for it much longer. I think that the likelihood that the "protests" are going to turn violent or a regular basis is growing and the police riots don't help.

People are buying guns, thinking about the realities of a "revolution" or at least a new civil war in order to reinstate the constitution and they are talking about it openly and in defiance of the federal government.

The deployment of active duty combat troops to the US is not jus a psychological ploy todecrease this kind of talk and get people to shut te hell up through scare tactics. I think that the Federal Government sees a need in the near future for jack-booted thugs to impose thier rule on Americans.

As they continue to take our country down an unprecidented path there are more and more people who are refusing to comply and compromise. I think that scares the hell out of them and they are taking steps (from FEMA concentration camps to the deployment of combat brigades) to ensure that corporate power remains entrenched in the US.

One indicator of this is the fat that the bailout bill has empowered the IRS with extra-judicial police enforcement powers.

I think that they are desperate and tey know that our situation is MUCh wors than what we're being told through the MSM.

Someone shoots Obama, it's all over. The economy sinks into a real depression, it's all over. We start a war with Iran (this one seems to me the catalyst that will spark the mos civil unrest), it's all over. The People will start shooting back. Cascade wrote above

Now again where is Ayers when he is needed?????

PTTP wrote I guess I should remind you guys that Big Brother is watching. He even admitted it, remember?
When what did they say and

Curt what did happen to Psycho Sid? Do you have an email for him. Send him an email and make sure he is not in the Pen.
HHH, that's the excuse... but we've already got the National Guard and FEMA for that. WHy destroy Posse Comitatus for that?

Should we destroy the Bill of Rights for hurricane rescue too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 08:11PM by Cascade.
Rescue hurrican victims or wait till the bill of rights can be amended? Tough choice.

PTTP, Amy Goodman has a great aticle onthis over at Democracy Now!.
I'm saying that a "spineless" Congress would probably not impeach a President who sent in regular military troops to help out in an emergency.

I asked if you supported the destruction of the Bill of Rights for hurricane resuce. It seems like you do.
I just heard that bush is going to attack Iran, suspend the election, declare himself president for life. Get your guns
The French FM is saying that Israel will attack Iran soon. You can expect the US to step in on the side of Israel if that happens.

They don't need to suspend the election, all they have to do is kill Obama. And Bush doesn't need to declare himself president for life when the entire federal government system is controled by corporae interests anyway.
Cascade can you post a link?? Thanks
RIA Novosti reported on it. I'm still waiting on my hard drive so postng links is a bitch.

If you google french FM israel attack iran and you should find it.
PTTP,
I haven't answered because I don't know. But I don't believe it is as ominous as it seems. One, it seems they are worried about terrorists attacking with nukes, poisons, etc. [www.usarnorth.org] I agree that we could use a good preparedness plan and a good team of people to deal with it. I don't get the feeling that they are gearing up for anything specific, but just want to be prepared.

Second, at the bottom of this article [www.armytimes.com] there is a correction:
Quote:
A non-lethal crowd control package fielded to 1st Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, described in the original version of this story, is intended for use on deployments to the war zone, not in the U.S., as previously stated.

On the other hand, I do find it kind of odd that they are using the regular Army for these "missions" rather than the National Guard. Maybe they want to use more elite soldiers for domestic security? Or maybe because they don't have to go through as much red tape to control the Army, as they do the Guard? Hm...
i told you it all over, no election
Wydid they choose the mose "blooded" combat brigade in the Army?

And that less-than-lethal package will be available to the US deployed brigade as well and they arecurrently being trained in crowd control...

So I highly doubt that thes guys are here for hurricane relief or even the outside chance that there might be a chemical attack. We've already got the Guard and FEMA trained and equiped for chemical, biological and nuclear attacks.

Again, why wouldthey choose thes guys asopposed to any other brigades?
they are good killers, leave while you have a chance
Cascade - The Bill of Rights will survive a hurrican rescue operation involving regular military troops.

I guess what I was trying to get at was "Do you support deploying combat troops in the US for policing duties?"
Could I just say that the greatest threat to the Bill of Rights, in my opinion, is a citizenry so rattled by a national emergency or catastrophe that they willingly give up their rights in a belief it's for the good of the community? I don't believe a tyrant is going to take over without broad public consent, which will not be given except in extreme circumstances. So, the challenge is to plan to avoid such circumstances or develop a way of meeting them without sacrificing our core principles.

So we've seen the people cave in after 9/11 which was a bit excusable... but then we saw our fellow citizens support everything from the Patriot act to defending Bush's signing statements which have allowed, at least, the destruction of Posse Comitatus...

So how would you propose that we avoid such circumstances or develop a way of meeting then withour sacrificing our core principles?

Because, from my point of view, civil protest or attempting to redress government for girevances isn't working...

What options do you see short of armed violent revolution?
We can write laws and set up a framework for responding to emergencies and catastrophes. This has been done already, to some extent. One example are laws covering the continuation of the Congress should most members be killed in an attack. An aware and involved citizenry would also help so the average person has some idea what role to play when something terrrible happens.

But, in the end, I think that if there is a violent revolution in the United States, it will be AGAINST democratic government precipitated by dire circumstances that will cause most citizens to lose faith in the effectiveness of our government.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 07:59AM by HHH.
Let me add one more thing. If the time comes when Americans give up their rights, most people posting here will agree that it was necessary and willingly cooperate even ceasing posting anything here that is negative about the new dictatorial government that will rule by decree. That's how bad it will have to be.

And still we are facing an economic crisis. So obviously the idea of last resort planning does not work and tends to screw things up.

As the People, we've no longer got any options as far as I can see.

The votes are either rigged or so influenced by corporate monies that no one but corporatists can get a chance to get elected to most positions.

Any plans that are drawn up are done so by corporate candidates and for the greater good of corporate interests.

Just look at the security forces and contractors in Iraq. The Pentagon is hiring even more contractors to investigate contractor abuses.

I know it scares you to actually look at what's going on and judge it rationally... it scares the hell out of me too... but you must. You've got to level that mind of yours against the realities that we are facing today. Otherwisse you will just be a parrot for corporate propaganda.

And we need every inteligent man. woman and child in America to know what's going on. Otherwisse we will fall into corporate totalitarianism equal to , at the very least, Mousolini's fascism.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum