Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's with the speaking about one's self in the third person?

Posted by Ponderer 
What's with the speaking about one's self in the third person?
August 02, 2020 04:53PM
I have never understood why people do that. It has always just seemed utterly counterproductive to me.

I mean, why would anyone ever think, "Hmmm. Maybe if I pretend to be a mental patient with a split personality disorder, it will strengthen and intensify my opinion in this public setting?"?

pb
Re: What's with the speaking about one's self in the third person?
August 02, 2020 05:01PM
Speaking only for pb, when he does it, it's an homage to Bob Dole.
August 02, 2020 06:37PM
I can accept that. When used as a satirical devise to point out the absurdity of those who actually do it, I can accept that.

But why do the people like Bob Dole or Indy! actually do it? What is their reasoning or psychological tick that makes them do it? Why is showing off how egotistically conceited they are something that they think is useful when it only makes them look utterly moronic?

pb
August 02, 2020 07:23PM
I think that Indy's being facetious.

As for Bob Dole...?
August 02, 2020 07:43PM
Well if he is, it's gotten pretty old. Like telling the same joke over and over and over again. It ceases to be funny.

August 02, 2020 08:39PM
Since it seems so important to you, Pondy (and we're buddies, of course) - I will tell you why Indy does it as soon as he explains it to me. smiling smiley
August 02, 2020 10:27PM
See? It's not funny at all anymore. It's gotten to feel instead like a built in disclaimer that the poster is off their rocker.

August 02, 2020 10:36PM
It's the Royal "we." Illusions of grandeur.
August 02, 2020 11:22PM
Not funny to you, but quite frankly Indy thinks the TDS has affected just about every part of your being - including your sense of humor. winking smiley I don't expect you, Curt, Donna and CERTAINLY not meagain to ever figure out why Indy talks in the third person (at times).
August 02, 2020 11:42PM
Why don't you and your friend Indy explain to us what we can't figure out?
pb
August 02, 2020 11:48PM
Indy!
Not funny to you, but quite frankly Indy thinks the TDS has affected just about every part of your being - including your sense of humor. winking smiley I don't expect you, Curt, Donna and CERTAINLY not meagain to ever figure out why Indy talks in the third person (at times).

pb agrees.
August 03, 2020 12:15AM
I could easily say why, indy, but the reasons I see your use of illeism are more simple than the complex psychological ones. I see it as someone who has not yet grown up and like a young child wants its name out.
August 03, 2020 12:24AM
Irony: The poster with the moniker "meagain" complains about talking about oneself in third person.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
August 03, 2020 12:37AM
Or the irony of meagain accusing me of being "like a young child wants its name out" when Indy has never posted under his real name. smoking smiley
August 03, 2020 01:00AM
What is it about the actual person behind the avatar of "Indy!" that makes him so terrified of any of that reality being known?

August 03, 2020 01:21AM
August 03, 2020 03:55AM
Simple question.

Difficult answer, eh?

August 03, 2020 04:50AM
The fact you know "the reality" kind of sucks all the life out of the question - doncha think? eye rolling smiley
August 04, 2020 08:07AM
No.

August 04, 2020 09:02AM
Are we still playing catch the poster in a lie? Because I think I just scored another point.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!