Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Listen To The Music

Posted by Donna 
Listen To The Music
May 22, 2020 01:40AM
We don't usually talk or post music on here, but being that music is my #1 love, next to Ponderer of course, I thought I'd post this music video here. It's one of those where musicians from all over the world contribute. I think this one is exceptionally well done. The sound, video and overall production quality is superb. There's even dancing in it.

It's was the first hit by my favorite musical artists of all time. You all know the song. The guy on acoustic guitar and lead vocals, Tom Johnston wrote it. Look for the cool sitar solo. I've never seen one played like that. And watch for his lovely daughter Lara who makes a few appearances.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Listen To The Music
May 22, 2020 02:14AM
Cool! I missed the sitar solo. Or maybe I mistook it for a mandolin.

Yesterday, while running with friends we crossed paths with some hikers, probably local college students. I noticed one of them, a woman, wearing a Jimi Hendrix tie-dyed T-shirt. She was maybe 20. Hendrix died about 50 years ago. I struck me that it's pretty cool that my era's music has a lasting appeal. I couldn't image me or anybody else my age when I was twenty wearing a Glenn Miller T-shirt or honoring Tommy Dorsey or Russ Columbo with a poster.

I suppose every generation thinks their music is best. But I think we have the strongest argument.

"White power! White power!" --Demented Racist Donald Trump

May 22, 2020 03:05AM
I don't know how you missed the sitar. He did a fairly long solo. Anyhow, I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

There are a surprising number of young people who like what's now called "classic" rock. I've had conversations with some of them. They always mention that they got into rock music through their parents. It does my heart good when I hear young people talk about how they love the music I grew up with and love.

Ponderer and I have made the same observations you made. My dad was a huge Glenn Miller fan, and I listened to a lot of it growing up back east. Big band music truly was a great style of music and I have an appreciation for it, but I don't love it like I do rock. I guess we're biased, but I agree - absolutely we have the strongest argument for having the best music! It's not nearly as popular as hip hop now, but there are a number of stations on Sirius/XM that play nothing but rock. Our car radio is permanently tuned to a rock station called Deep Tracks. There's also a good one called Classic Vinyl. And quite a few stations are dedicated to one artist - for example the Beatles, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, and the latest addition, Led Zeppelin.

Maybe one of the reasons rock is still popular is because the 60s is when there was a noticeable improvement in recording techniques like multi-tracking and of course stereo, which made it sound better. And since then, a lot of it has been digitally remastered and remixed.
May 22, 2020 06:53AM
[youtu.be]

I can’t believe how old I am now Jesus...

I got my 50 year anniversary tickets for the Doobie Brothers with Michael McDonald! Concert is in October hope it’s still on... Already missed the Masters this year.
May 22, 2020 06:53AM
Nice song - well done. The Doobie guys still sound good.

When I was younger a friend in my gang who played guitar knew someone going to India and the guy said for $25 he’d send him a sitar. So he gave him the cash and a month or so later this kickass sitar comes in the mail. I mean it’s ridiculous how beautiful this thing is - it’s the same quality as the one in the video and perhaps even better. For one thing it has real ivory frets. He had some musician friend at Sam’s put a value on it and the guy said $1500. That was in the late 80s.

So far as the classic rock thing, that’s quite easy to explain - it was the boomer generation. The music is better than some eras and worse than others. But what happened was there was a large fan base in the 60s because there were more teens at the time. As they grew up, they moved into the business world and kept the music alive longer than it deserved thru tv, movies, radio, etc... A large part of it was also racist - most rockers are white. When funk came on the scene thru bands like Sly Stone, Ohio Players, etc... they were relegated to the “disco” category - not rock - while in the 50s & 60s black bands played right alongside of white bands on rock radio. Rock almost died right there. Instead of allowing music to take it’s natural course and expand as it always had - the boomers created the bullsh!t category of “classic rock” which was really nothing more than the oldies. Except now the were playing that sh!t right along with the few new bands that came along while keeping the “disco” and funk bands in the “disco” realm for the mostly black crowd.

Now parents were encouraging their kids to listen to the same crap as them - which is as far from “rock” as you can get. As you guys said - can you imagine listening to Glenn Miller while your friends were listening to Hendrix? How UNcool is that? But that’s basically what happened until punk saved rock to some degree - gave it enough life to make it to the next millennium at least. But really the damage had already been done - the “classic rock” crap was now the de facto “best” rock which is total horsesh!t. The 60s was a decent era as was the late 70s which compromises most of classic rock (They conveniently skip over the sh!tty country rock era in the early 70s for the most part). But so far as the best era for rock? It was clearly the punk to grunge decade from the late 70s to the late 80s. There was more diverse music created in that time period than any other - punk, new wave, house, industrial, reggae, the re-emergence of heavy metal and psychedelic, speed metal, grunge, funk... there was never an era with so much happening in so many areas of the rock genre.
May 22, 2020 07:06AM
[youtu.be]

This is a short doc on the video pretty cool
May 22, 2020 07:17AM
Last year I spent a week in New Orleans for the 50th Jazz Fest. Just amazing. 6 days of nonstop eating, drinking, and listening to jazz and rock. I was really lucky to stumble across this act one night just drinking at the Howling Wolf.

[archive.org]

Check out John Gros plays the Night Tripper... Walk on Guilded Splinters.
May 22, 2020 07:26AM
There was excellent music in the late 80s and 90s, albeit the minority. It seems that music essentially died around the year 2000 and onwards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
May 22, 2020 07:28AM
Yeah thanks Donna now I can’t stop watching these videos another gem from “Playing for Change”

[youtu.be]
May 22, 2020 07:38AM
Nothing beats 60’s and 70’s rock. Nada.

Last week I watched a doc on Stevie Nicks... She’s amazing. It took her 10 minutes to write this song, and the music for it. (Granted, it was fully developed by the band later on)

Verse 1]
Listen to the wind blow
Watch the sun rise
Run in the shadows
Damn your love, damn your lies

[Chorus]
And if you don't love me now
You will never love me again
I can still hear you saying
You would never break the chain (Never break the chain)
And if you don't love me now (You don't love me now)
I can still hear you saying (Still hear you saying)

[Verse 2]
Listen to the wind blow
Down comes the night
Run in the shadows
Damn your love, damn your lies
Break the silence
Damn the dark, damn the light

[Chorus]
And if you don't love me now
I can still hear you saying
May 22, 2020 09:37AM
In all of the time that humans have been alive, our generation picked the best time to be alive musically.

May 22, 2020 10:06AM
Saw Stevie Nicks back in the day. Great voice & some nice songs but what a horrible show. She spent more time changing her clothes than singing her songs - she changed her dress for every song. It was the same exact dress - the one she’s wearing on the cover of her first solo album. She was just changing into a different color of the same dress everytime... yellow, orange, green, blue, purple... it’s a good thing Joe Walsh opened the show because otherwise it would have been a total disaster of a concert.

So far as the 60s music - you guys need to broaden your musical horizons. I bet none of you faux hippies have even listened to anything outside that era. smoking smiley
May 22, 2020 12:51PM
There’s only one music genre I don’t particularly enjoy and that’s country music. Loved the pop of the 80’s, learned guitar in the late 80’s playing Metallic licks, got into hip hop in the early 90’s, and like K became somewhat disinterested in new music after 2000 outside of some pop and R&B songs. Don’t really dig on punk but enjoy the energy of the genre. I’m more into harmony. Got into classical music in mid 2000’s listening to a lot of Handel and Beethoven. Early 2010 started listening to Delta blues having always been a fan of Chicago style, and that got me listening to 60’s and 70’s Rock again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 12:52PM by tuk22.
May 22, 2020 03:30PM
OMG, Indy, do you have to turn everything into an argument? We don't need to do anything. When it comes to the arts, you like what you like. Simple as that. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2020 04:02PM by Donna.
May 22, 2020 04:02PM
I loved that guitarist on the Ribs & Zeppelin video!

I'd also love to have those tickets you have to the Doobie 50-year anniversary concert. I've seen them about 15 times, dating back to almost 50 years ago. I met Michael McDonald once after a Doobie concert back around '80. Super nice guy and incredible singer, player and songwriter, although I prefer the Johnston-era sound. I watched a short interview with Johnston when he appeared on American Bandstand in '80. Learned something I hadn't known: Johnston left the group for some years because of musical differences. I knew that McDonald replaced him around '77 mid-tour when Johnston suddenly left because of drug and medical problems, but I hadn't known that he didn't rejoin the band during the McDonald years because of musical differences, but it makes sense.

I was born in '56. Come from a musical family; we all played instruments. I remember falling asleep at night listening to the Temptations and the Four Tops records my older brothers were playing. Of course they were into rock too. Occasionally my dad would play big band music he had on 8-track. The first major musical act I saw live was Herb Albert & the Tijuana Brass which I loved because I was formally trained on trumpet (In high school I played in the jazz band). I think the opening act was Sergio Mendez & Brazil '66. Went with my parents and younger brother and sat in the nosebleeds.

Getting ready to watch your other videos.
May 22, 2020 04:45PM
Yeah - I'm gonna have to listen to more of those Playing For Change vids too.

I loved that Walking Blues. Most rock is blues based, and when you learn rock guitar, you learn basic blues patterns. I didn't develop an appreciation for the blues until after I played rock for many years, though. Now I love it.

The only rock guitarist I can think of who usually didn't play blues-based leads was Jerry Garcia. He went up and down scales and played a lot of chromatics. Very unique style.

tuk - How do I get to that John Gros song?

I've never seen Stevie Nicks sing live, but I love a lot of her stuff. My band covered Dreams and Go Your Own Way. I used to own the Buckingham Nicks album, which is outstanding. Fleetwood Mac re-recorded Stevie's song "Crystal" from that album on the first album they did with her and Lindsey.

There isn't a sub-genre of rock I don't enjoy, although I'm partial to blues-based rock. My favorite artist from the 90s is Stone Temple Pilots. I'm also a fan of Porcupine Tree.

Indy - you mentioned Joe Walsh. He's one of my favorite all-time rockers. I've enjoyed all of his work from The James Gang all the way through Eagles and of course his solo work. Incredible, versatile songwriter and superb guitarist.
May 22, 2020 05:11PM
Thanks that’s me playing. It was my birthday and had some friends and family over to jam.

Re: John Gros, just click on a song and it plays. I’ve seen a ton of live acts that show was something very different than what I’m used to. Kinda like a psychedelic jazz/funk

Re: Joe Walsh, that was the time in Stevie Nicks career when she was snorting piles of cocaine, right? Think she went to rehab during that time... Fleetwood Mac put on a perfect reunion concert in the mid 90’s, it’s available on YouTube
May 22, 2020 05:17PM
You're great! Thanks - I really enjoyed that.
May 22, 2020 07:40PM
I listened to the entire Bayou Rendevous album this morning. Nice change of pace. I'm a big Little Feat fan. Some of the songs reminded me of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!