Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

COVID-19 Mortality Analysis - Some surprises

Posted by Donna 
COVID-19 Mortality Analysis - Some surprises
May 17, 2020 04:44AM
From Johns Hopkins [coronavirus.jhu.edu]

Deaths per 100,000 people:

1. Belgium 78.44
2. Spain 58.77
3. Italy 52.31
4. UK 51.25
5. France 41.10
6. US 26.75
7. Canada 15.32
8. Germany 9.52
9. Iran 8.44
10. Brazil 7.14
Re: COVID-19 Mortality Analysis - Some surprises
May 17, 2020 06:34AM
I am not sure what to make of that. There doesn't seem to be any conclusion to be drawn about universal healthcare, economic situations, or having a stringent response to COVID. I wonder about the accuracy of the individual countries' reporting.

"White power! White power!" --Demented Racist Donald Trump

May 17, 2020 07:14AM
To take a guess perhaps it has something to do with higher percentage of elderly population?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
May 17, 2020 07:31AM
Kairos
To take a guess perhaps it has something to do with higher percentage of elderly population?

That's a good guess.

"White power! White power!" --Demented Racist Donald Trump

May 17, 2020 11:13AM
I did some research on Belgium, and according to the article I read, Belgium's rate is high because they include deaths where they assumed that the patient died from COVID-19 but didn't perform a test to verify. It seems logical to me that most of those people probably did die from COVID-19 else they wouldn't have assumed that was the cause, but who knows.

So western and southern Europe and the US have done the worst jobs keeping the death rate down. But Germany has done well. I wonder what Germany's doing differently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2020 11:17AM by Donna.
May 17, 2020 12:40PM
I covered this before and got called a lying sack of sht.

Dr Brix confirms. "Dr. Birx Reportedly Believes Coronavirus Death Toll Inflated By Up To 25%"
"“There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust,” Birx reportedly told CDC Director Robert Redfield.

Birx told The Post in a statement that “mortality is slowly declining each day,” and that the focus should be on protecting Americans who are older or have pre-existing health conditions that make them vulnerable to the virus.

“To keep with this trend, it is essential that seniors and those with comorbidities shelter in place and that we continue to protect vulnerable communities,” Birx reportedly said.

Concerns over the way death tolls were being counted emerged after New York added 4,000 people who had never tested positive to its official count overnight. The CDC later confirmed that they were including “probable” cases of the virus in its official counts, potentially adding thousands of people who never tested positive to official death tolls."

The reason is simple. Hospitals, health care workers, Medicare, all get paid by the federal government for people that die from COVID 19 at actual rates, not the "Medicare rates." They don't get reimbursed at the higher rate if they are not "COVID." Medicare makes money, but the local Hospice organizations don't. So it's better to pad the accounts.
May 17, 2020 06:47PM
"Birx told The Post in a statement that “mortality is slowly declining each day,” and that the focus should be on protecting Americans who are older or have pre-existing health conditions that make them vulnerable to the virus." -Olde Dude

So pray tell, what specific protections and assistance is the federal government currently giving to catastrophically overburdened states to focus on precisely that...?

Yeah. I coulda bet on that.

And if there were an adequate supply of tests available, which there never has been thanks to this incompetent, sociopathic federal government we are cursed with, hospitals wouldn't have to be relying on educated guesses as to whether a case of Covid-19 was probable or not.

May 17, 2020 07:06PM
The figures are not really comparable. In Canada, for example, close to 80% of the deaths are in long term care and retirement homes. Reflectin a couple of decades of privatisation and regulatory neglect. The death rate in the general population is rather low because of the successful isolation and physical distancing strategies. It would need an analysis of those factors and more to really judge.

Then, it is widely said by experts that Dr. Birx's theory is nonsense. Everywhere, the death rates have been underreported: sometimes for political reasons and always because of the difficulties in assessment. Post Mortems are not done because of the pressures of coping.
May 17, 2020 07:24PM
The infection and death rates are higher in nursing homes EVERYWHERE.
May 17, 2020 07:49PM
Donna
The infection and death rates are higher in nursing homes EVERYWHERE.

Not to the same degree.
May 17, 2020 07:59PM
I doubt that the nursing home COVID-19 death rate is any worse in Canada than it is in the US. If it is, then shame on Canada.
May 17, 2020 08:06PM
Article about the high rate of COVID19 nursing home deaths. It doesn't mention Canada. I'm sure it's a bad priblem up there, though. [www.theguardian.com]
pb
May 17, 2020 08:34PM
I've mentioned that we bought an apartment in a retirement community and moved in last fall. I will add that we are the youngest residents here. (I'm not the slightest bit defensive, eh?)

At our place, the management was way ahead of the curve in getting us quarantined. I had to give up my job.

But not one person in personal care or in the skilled (nursing) care part of the home's been infected.

Where my mom was, they've stopped announcing the number of cases and the number of death, but at least a dozen there died before mom.

In our county, the number of cases and deaths is very low outside of personal care and nursing homes.
May 17, 2020 08:46PM
The differences are highlighted in Canada, Donna, by provincial comparisons. They are high everwhere but much higher in Quebec and Ontario than elsewhere. In Ontario, it stems from the growing privatisation and deregulation that started with a Conservative Premier 25 years ago: the current Premier (also a Conservative) ended the annual inspections less than a year before the pandemic struck.

Striking is that the death and infection rates are far higher in for-profit homes than is not for profit and Municipal facilities. With, the interesting fact that one of the worst is in a Municipal home that is managed by a for profit chain.
May 17, 2020 09:25PM
We have privately owned long-term care facilities here too. You would have to show me statistics to convince me that the situation in Canada is worse than here or other countries.
May 18, 2020 01:22AM
Donna, I did find some stats. Try this. One study says 61%, another 82%. Article published May 7, 2020.

82% of Canada’s COVID-19 deaths have been in long-term care
"OTTAWA—New data reveals the overwhelming toll on elderly Canadians in long-term care during the COVID-19 outbreak, showing they make up 82 per cent of all deaths.

The National Institute on Aging says that as of Wednesday, May 6, there were 3,436 resident deaths and six staff deaths for a total of 3,442 deaths across long-term care and residential nursing home settings across Canada. That represents 82 per cent of the 4,167 Canadian deaths reported Wednesday.

Dr. Samir Sinha, research director at the institute, says it is a staggering figure, given the roughly 400,000 residents living in care homes represent just one per cent of the Canadian population.

And it is a much higher figure than was indicated in a separate study released by the International Long-Term Care Policy Network just days ago.

That study said residents in long-term care accounted for 62 per cent of all deaths from the virus in Canada. It found Canada has the highest proportion of deaths from COVID-19 in long term care settings among 14 countries.

Sinha’s team has compiled data from across the broadly defined sector, using figures supplied directly by long-term care residences, nursing and retirement homes, public health units and the provinces.

Ottawa has not released national data on the exact number of deaths in the long term care sector.

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam has said Canadians over 60 and those with underlying conditions have suffered the most severe outcomes. On Thursday, however, after the institute released its figures, Tam confirmed that about 81 per cent of deaths are “linked to long term care facilities.”

Some provinces “have actually not had any deaths from long-term care,” she said. “It’s influenced a lot by the bigger provinces” which are undergoing large outbreaks."
May 18, 2020 01:41AM
Tanks, od. I was going to post that.

Here is one for the USA for comparison.

[www.npr.org]
May 18, 2020 02:34AM
I have to say, that doesn't bid well for your elder care. These are like stats out of our VA, which are horrible at best (government healthcare).
May 18, 2020 02:46AM
Thanks, guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!