Forum Index            

SelectSmart.com®
Before you decide
Over 20,000 selectors

This isn't complicated. 2020 is a referendum on Trump.

The job of the Biden campaign is simple, and Trump is helping.
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

We Are in a Planetary Emergency

Posted by Donna 
We Are in a Planetary Emergency
May 10, 2020 05:49AM
Yes, we are in a serious, multi-level planetary emergency - and it involves climate, water, food, topsoil, overconsumption, missing species, ocean life and humans. Mostly humans, and our various nonsensical greed-induced behaviors and systems.

Now for the bad news. Many of the people and organizations who are working hard to save us, aren’t. It’s not that they haven’t tried. They have. And we are proud of them and ourselves and all the the work we’ve done in the environmental movement. We are very grateful to our environmental leaders. Brilliant research, writings, protests, successes.

Except it hasn’t worked. The climate battle has been lost or it’s being lost. We all know that we are WORSE off since the first Earth Day 50 years ago. Here’s what’s been achieved since 1970:

* 90% of the large fish (cod, halibut, salmon, etc) in the oceans are gone. We ate them.

* 60% of all the mammals are gone - and 95% of the mammals that are left are either humans, our pets, or our dinner.

* Somewhere between 2,000 and 10,000 species are going extinct every year;

* We have lost HALF of all our topsoil. Some predict it will all be gone in 60 years. It takes 1,000 years to regenerate just three centimeters of new topsoil;

* Of the Earth’s 37 main aquifer systems (our underground fresh water), 21 of them are at near-collapse.

* We lost 1.2 billion acres of rainforest in 2018. In just one year.

* We were not supposed to go above 350 parts per million of the carbon we spew into our atmosphere. We are now at 415. Which means we are beyond the point of no return.

We will have no chance of even coming close to halting the coming collapse if we cannot first admit we have failed. We can no longer solar panel and windmill our way out of this disaster. I’m so sorry I have to say this, but friends, we are no longer on the right road. And if we don’t change course immediately, if we’re too proud to ask for directions, new directions, to start a bold new discussion of what must be done - and do so without “green” hedge fund managers at the table - then we might as well keep driving this electric Buick off the cliff.

I cannot remain silent about this any longer.

Rest at [readersupportednews.org]
Re: We Are in a Planetary Emergency
May 10, 2020 07:33AM
Its time to admit Donna that we should not allow our countries' populations to keep increasing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Build yourselves a wall of ships!" said the Oracle!
May 10, 2020 08:40AM
That would have zero effect. It's way too late for measures like that.
May 10, 2020 09:20AM
No it would have an effect and it would at the very least help preserve the ecology that's left within most of North America.

You want to just throw in the towel and give up, because you can't stomach the actual changes that need to take place.

Such is the characteristic patterns of many addicts.

This willingness toward surrender to self-destruction is what Freud called the death drive.

You may very well be correct that we are doomed as a result of humanity's incorrigible idiocy, but there is no rational point as far as self-preservation is concerned in aiding and abetting it and denying that we need to take actual action where it counts right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 09:26AM by Kairos.
May 10, 2020 09:41AM
We have about 10 years to make drastic, immediate changes. 30 years tops. How much population could be cut by then?

Most people don't like hearing this. They're still in the first of the five stages of grief: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Millennials are in the second stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 09:41AM by Donna.
May 10, 2020 07:38PM
If he had constructed Planet of the Humans around the issues he highlights in that article it would have done useful service and his credibility would not have been severely damaged. Apart from the first paragraph where says the virus is just another life form (it is not a life form) I agree with it.
May 10, 2020 08:02PM
He expands on what he said in that piece in the podcast (link farther down). I'm getting ready to listen to it for a second time.

I can't tell you how refreshing it was for me to hear someone tell the truth about the situation we're in. What he said in the piece and in the following podcast took moral courage. He's right when he says that our efforts haven't worked and that "something has to change, and it has to change now." But it won't. He's more optimistic that me.

Anyhow here's the link. Apparently he's been doing a lot of stay-at-home podcasts. This one is #75 - We Are In A Planetary Emergency [www.youtube.com]

You might want to look at this also: Are Viruses Alive? [www.scientificamerican.com]
May 10, 2020 09:40PM
Viruses are players but they are just a molecule of protein, not a lifeform.
May 10, 2020 10:34PM
That's debatable, even in the scientific community. I think that viruses are a life form that doesn't fall into neatly into what we recognize as a life form.
May 10, 2020 11:54PM
To say they are a life form means completely redefining life. Viruses have no metabolism. They can't grow and don't feed. They can't reproduce. They can't survive outside of a living host. In a host, they replicate through the host's own cellular replication mechanisms.

To me, that signifies no life. The replicated molecules still have none of the features that life has. It is a good question but it would need an entirely different understanding of what life is.
May 10, 2020 11:58PM
I'll let the scientists debate that. I don't really care.
May 11, 2020 02:40AM
We just finished a long video session with my son and his family. His wife is a biologist and something of a student of infectious disease. My Granddaughter is still in Grade 9 but she has participated in a Model UN giving talks on infectious diseases: Ebola specifically. She has planned to become an epidemiologist. She is almost fifteen but has read widely already on the subject.

Their view is that it is not a life form as defined. It is, if anything, a third category between life and non life.
May 11, 2020 04:18AM
Say it, say it, say it, say it...
2,000 zero zero zero party over oops out of time!
May 11, 2020 06:38PM
"We have about 10 years to make drastic, immediate changes. 30 years tops. How much population could be cut by then? "

Nature will cut the population severely as humanity will be unwilling to do so.

The question is do we protect our own countries and make them islands to survive this process or will we do the most stupid thing possible and the same thing in ours as all the other failed over populated countries?

May 11, 2020 09:24PM
Perhaps Nature could start with you so that reasonable people can once again enjoy intelligent discourse.
May 14, 2020 09:22AM
Nature is currently targeting your age-group with Covid. Maybe it was sick of your generation's foolish mindset causing its destruction?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 09:22AM by Kairos.
May 14, 2020 08:10PM
It is equally targeting your age group. You will have to live with the debilitating consequences for a long time - if it does not decide that your immune system is no more immune to reality than your mental equipment. Though the mental part of you would be harder to find.
May 14, 2020 08:42PM
I watched the BBC series called Blue Planet (2) presented by David Attenborough. That series influenced Britain to ban single use plastic. Would such a step be taken in the US? In India, it would have no impact with the present right wing govt.

Maddie
May 16, 2020 08:10PM
A good series. I'm not aware of Britain banning Single Use Plastic. I've been watching a BBC documentary series about the overwhelming amount of Single Use Plastic in Britain called The War on Plastic.

The ban of Single Use Plastic in India would be monumentous.

May 16, 2020 08:12PM
"It is equally targeting your age group. You will have to live with the debilitating consequences for a long time" - Meagain

So that's why you didn't want the government to stop it from entering Canada, yet another boomerang gift from deluded seniles.

May 28, 2020 09:58PM
[www.google.co.in]

Okay, they are on track to ban single use plastic. The movement gained momentum as a result of this series apparently.

Maddie
May 28, 2020 10:02PM
madmadmadonna
[www.google.co.in]

Okay, they are on track to ban single use plastic. The movement gained momentum as a result of this series apparently.

There is a problem with that just now. Cloth bags are banned from grocery stores in this area: any reusable are and the possible ban is on hold. It applies to some other products.
May 28, 2020 10:08PM
Because of Covid? Okay that’s an issue.

Maddie
May 29, 2020 07:11AM
Yeah unfortunately Covid is severely hampering the movement to stop Single-Use Plastics right now. It seems this disease was the dream of the petroleum/plastics industry.

Economy/humanity over the rest of nature as usual.

May 29, 2020 08:14AM
OMG I am freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 29, 2020 08:15AM
You should be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!