Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Glenn Greenwald physically attacked by right-wing journalist on live TV

Posted by Donna 
Glenn Greenwald physically attacked by right-wing journalist on live TV
November 09, 2019 11:38PM
Coming soon to the US.

Glenn Greenwald
Yesterday, I was physically attacked by a right-wing journalist during a live broadcast in São Paulo, Brazil. The incident has made headlines all over the world, but it wasn’t an isolated one.

Our whole team here in Brazil is under constant threat from a fascist political movement backing far-right President Jair Bolsonaro that wants to intimidate us into silence.

That threat is escalating severely as a result of events today in Brazil, where a Supreme Court judge has just ordered former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Bolsonaro’s chief political rival, to be released from prison.

The journalist who attacked me is the former editor-in-chief of Brazil’s largest newsweekly who has become a pro-Bolsonaro activist.

He has publicly called for a judge to investigate my family, suggesting that my children should be removed from my home and returned to the shelter from which my husband and I adopted them.

His homophobic rhetoric obviously exceeds the bounds of propriety, but I agreed to appear alongside him on a right-wing radio show because I believe that it’s crucial in any democracy, especially one as polarized as Brazil, to have political dialogue with your adversaries.

I wanted the opportunity to discuss with him why he would say something so inappropriate. Instead, he physically assaulted me — and Bolsonaro supporters, including the president’s own son, reacted with applause.

Our team at The Intercept Brasil has lived with the threat of violence ever since we published documents that revealed serious, systematic, and sustained improprieties by the Brazilian judicial officials who imprisoned Lula.

Bolsonaro himself has publicly threatened me with prison.

Glenn Greenwald
I think what's most important is that the Bolsonaro movement, including the president's son and his mentor and many members of Congress from his party, are applauding this violence, because it's a fascist movement. They want a civil war; they want violence in our political discourse. And that's what makes them so dangerous. So that's what happened. The video shows it very clearly.
[www.salon.com]

I fear for Glenn's life and that of his husband's.
Re: Glenn Greenwald physically attacked by right-wing journalist on live TV
November 10, 2019 01:13AM
He was slapped. Really? Ngo got a concussion from being beaten and kicked in the head. And he wasn't in a third world shthole. He was in the US just north of you.

And Indy defended it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 01:13AM by OldeDude.
November 10, 2019 08:24AM
What on earth does that have to do with what I posted? I don't know who Ngo is, nor do I remember the conversation you're referring to.
November 10, 2019 08:30AM
Donna
I don't know who Ngo is, nor do I remember the conversation you're referring to.

I didn't give it much thought or know what he was referring to, but I thought Ngo meant Non-governmental organization. But maybe he did mean a person.
November 10, 2019 03:14PM
Obviously, you stick to one source for all your news, which is a shame since you "claim" to be political "experts." I really don't know if you feign stupidity, or you really are since this was talked about in another thread.

Reason
Portland police have claimed that some of the milkshakes thrown by the antifa activists on Saturday contained quick-dry cement. That may or may not be true. What is true is that an antifa mob beat up a journalist—one who is harshly critical of them, to be sure, but who posed no physical threat to them and was only there to document their activities—on a public street. This is indefensible, and yet there are tons of progressive-leaning people currently defending it, or at the very least rationalizing and making light of it.
Antifa, of course, rejects the notion that violence should only be used in response to a physical threat. The group believes that the very existence of far-right people, groups, and ideas is a kind of provocation that justifies violence—against the far-right, and against their enablers. (For more about the ideology, tactics, and goals of the movement, order my new book, Panic Attack; Young Radicals in the Age of Trump, which includes an entire chapter on antifa.)

Journalist Andy Ngo beaten up by antifa activists at Portland protest

Journalist Andy Ngo Attacked by Antifa at Portland Protest

Andy Ngo, a journalist covering a clash between far-right and far-left demonstrators in Portland, was sent to the ER after being surrounded and beaten by members of Antifa on Saturday. Ngo was punched in the head, covered with silly string and eggs, and struck with milkshakes that Portland PD later claimed were filled with quick-drying cement. Ngo’s camera equipment was stolen by a member of the group, which can be observed in this video. Ngo was recognized and attacked because of his history of documenting Antifa’s actions in Portland.
In both videos, Ngo can be seen walking among Antifa demonstrators with his camera out before he is rushed by a masked horde cloaked in black. The entire assault is captured; it happens in an instant. One Antifa-affiliated demonstrator, in disguise, pulls Ngo’s camera away from him. Ngo is then sucker-punched by another masked protester, who quickly backpedals in retreat. The crowd closes in; Ngo covers his head. He is kicked, sprayed with silly string, hit with milkshakes, and pelted with eggs. Taunts and profanity can be heard. Ngo makes his way from the street, trying to protect his head as the mob behind him cheers.
November 10, 2019 06:01PM
CED is real.

November 10, 2019 09:06PM
There isn't a poster on this forum who supports Antifa. In fact I've called them "punks" here.

Unfortunately, in a country of some 350 million, there's always going to be people who act out inappropriately and sometimes dangerously. And they should be fined and/or jailed.

What makes Greenwald's personal case so frightening is that it was a media person of great influence who attacked him, President Bolsonaro's son applauded the attack, and President Bolsonaro himself has threatened Greenwald with prison although he has committed no crime.
November 10, 2019 11:23PM
I do not remember that post and I sincerely doubt I said “defended” the actions you are describing. In simple terms for the incredibly simple OD?

You’re LYING again, Odorous.
November 11, 2019 02:10AM
Nope. You said that that was one example, and he was just whining. It didn't amount to anything.
November 11, 2019 02:15AM
Donna- you framed this in left vs right. I am doing the same thing. If you support them or not, it's immaterial. YOU claimed left vs right. I am claiming the EXACT SAME THING. Own it.
November 11, 2019 05:33AM
No source? Then it obviously never happened. Cut back on the meds, Odorous - you're hallucinating again.
November 11, 2019 09:06AM
a chance it was legit -- even though they are well aware that cameras and mics are rolling confused smiley

==========================================================================
November 11, 2019 05:03PM
princess cameltoe- Of what? I was using Donna's article. And I cited the information on Ngo.

Andy Ngo suffered SERIOUS injury from Antifa ATTACK, liberals applaud violence [UPDATED]

From the Portland PD "Police have received information that some of the milkshakes thrown today during the demonstration contained quick-drying cement. We are encouraging anyone hit with a substance today to report it to police."

so pretty much pissoff.
November 11, 2019 08:59PM
I've never supported actions like attacking journalists, so - again OD, either source MY words or we know you're lying (again).

Also - in the video it's easy to see there is no "cement" in the milkshakes.
November 11, 2019 09:28PM
Indy!
I've never supported actions like attacking journalists, so - again OD, either source MY words or we know you're lying (again).

Also - in the video it's easy to see there is no "cement" in the milkshakes.

no words justify violence. although nyc media tries to make it so -- he deserved being attacked because he used the word niggger.....or holocaust hoax.

but gook, cracker, wetback dont qualify like niggger/holo-hoax do

lol -- the software on this site only edited out niggger -- but let the rest as they were. solid-gold proof of bias i'm talking about

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2019 09:32PM by txcup.
November 11, 2019 09:40PM
That's Curt - he makes the list of naughty words. Maybe he likes being called a cracker? smiling smiley
November 11, 2019 10:08PM
The opening post is about a foreign government and media mogul who supports that government openly engaging in harassment, oppression and violence against a journalist and his family for the crime of criticizing the government and being a gay adoptive parent.
November 11, 2019 11:16PM
It describes them as a "Right wing" group.
November 12, 2019 06:23AM
Indy!
That's Curt - he makes the list of naughty words. Maybe he likes being called a cracker? smiling smiley

getting triggered into violence by some jackasses words is the ultimate form of submission. jackass owns you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 06:24AM by txcup.
November 12, 2019 05:57PM
"Indy!
That's Curt - he makes the list of naughty words. Maybe he likes being called a cracker?"

Florida crackers were colonial-era British and American pioneer settlers and their descendants in what is now the U.S. state of Florida. The first of these arrived in 1763 after Spain traded Florida to Great Britain following the latter's victory over France in the Seven Years' War.

Just thought I would teach you about the state you live in...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!