Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Tell Joe, Elizabeth and Bernie to buy into my Medicare-for-all plan
September 15, 2019 05:29AM
The truth is if any of the Democrats running for president are elected, they will sign any healthcare bill that is even close to their campaign promises. I seriously doubt that Biden, Sanders or Warren would reject a Medicare option plan or a Medicare for people 50 years plus if it was the closest bill that that House and Senate could pass. Frankly, I don't see the House or Senate changing that much. There will still be Republicans representing conservative red states and districts.

Instead of a watered down national health care plan, what if a state or states were permitted by the federal government to have their population covered by a Medicare-for-all plan? Vermont actually tried to get there, but the math didn't work out for them. Maybe a larger population base is needed to make it feasible. Congressional Republicans should not object too much as they generally claim to favor state rights. If the citizens of California and Oregon wanted Medicare-for-all, I don't see why the senators and representatives from Mississippi would fight it.

"Laboratories of democracy" is a phrase popularized by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis to describe how a "state may, if its citizens choose, serve as a laboratory; and try novel social and economic experiments without risk to the rest of the country."
Re: Tell Joe, Elizabeth and Bernie to buy into my Medicare-for-all plan
September 15, 2019 03:41PM
"If the citizens of California and Oregon wanted Medicare-for-all, I don't see why the senators and representatives from Mississippi would fight it." -Curt

Don't need 'em to, Curt. We have enough of our own senators and representatives who are effective enough at blocking it themselves...

Poll: Californians Want Universal Health Coverage, Free Community College

Government-run universal health care wins vote in California Senate

Corporate Democrats Sabotage Single Payer Bill in California for Wealthy Donors

September 15, 2019 03:46PM
"Instead of a watered down national health care plan, what if a state or states were permitted by the federal government to have their population covered by a Medicare-for-all plan?" -Curt

Curt, what is federally stopping any state from doing it now?

September 15, 2019 03:49PM
Pondy- We actually agree. States already have the power to do that legally. No changes, no bloating to the federal government. If the state supports that, they can go for it.
September 15, 2019 04:10PM
Unlike Vermont, California likely is large enough to be able to effectively pull it off. That is why our state's corporate representatives are so keen to stop it. It can't be allowed to succeed. If it succeeds here and it is realized that the only way it can work in much smaller states who might also want it is for it to be a federal program, we'd be right back where we are now, only with proof that it actually works. The pressure would really be on from the people to have federal M4A. And again, that is about the last thing our corporate overlords want to have happen.

September 15, 2019 06:09PM
Ponderer,
If it can't be pulled off in progrrssive California, what are the chances M4A can happen nationally?

I assume the federal government would have to agree to CA keeping a portion of taxes to finance the plan and other waivers probably. Check the history of the unsuccessful Vermont attempt. Btw, maybe CA should opt for something more feasible, namely Biden's plan.
September 15, 2019 06:29PM
"Ponderer,
If it can't be pulled off in progrrssive California, what are the chances M4A can happen nationally?"
-Curt

But it can be pulled off here, Curt. If our representatives represent us instead of their corporate overlords. They block even debate about seeing how to go about bringing Californians what they want.

Same could be said for representatives of other states.

September 15, 2019 06:38PM
We elect to raise our own taxes for social programs here in California all the time, Curt. Californians vote to chip in for society's benefit with our sales taxes for example. Not that you would know much about that subject. We voted to raise our own taxes in order to get the budget back in order and it worked. In spades.

I believe that we, as Californians, will see the logic in accepting the sacrifice of paying increased taxes that are half of what our health insurance premiums were costing us in order that everyone in the state has coverage that surpasses even what we had before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 06:42PM by Ponderer.
September 15, 2019 06:53PM
Ponderer,
Likewise I would not expect you to know about the Oregon health care plan. It did require a federal waiver for it to happen.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

When I say "feasible"; I mean what is possible in the real world. That it DID NOT happen in California should inform you as to what can happen on a national level.
September 15, 2019 07:02PM
I know. I know.

I do realize that in the "real world" our oligarchic corporate plutocracy in California and America as a whole will stymie any percentage of the American people's will for a world-class healthcare system. We both realize that, Curt.

You'll just have to excuse me if I don't let it stop me from still fighting for it.

September 15, 2019 07:07PM
One politician stopped M4A in CA from even having a chance to be discussed.

One politician stopped the ACA from being killed.

Something is gained in the long run if Bernie's M4A plan is at least allowed to be voted on. That way, if it's killed, Americans will at least be more educated on what it would have provided them and who prevented them from having it.
September 15, 2019 07:15PM
Ponderer, you decry the representatives in California who take their marching orders from their corporate overlords. The fact is these Republicans are elected and re-elected by their conservative constituencies because they do represent their views.

The art of politics is to find the sweet spot that a majority people regardless of where they are on political spectrum are at. FDR knew how to find it. People on the extreme edges were disappointed with the original iteration of Social Security. Idealism is great, but pragmatism makes things happen.
September 15, 2019 07:32PM
"The fact is these Republicans are elected and re-elected by their conservative constituencies because they do represent their views." -Curt

The same could be said about Mitch McConnell when he stymied Obama's SC pick or any of the other psychopathic sh*t he's done. Yet him serving his state's constituency, however majority sociopathic they may be, is harming the entire rest of the country. Like a how few sociopathic representatives in a few districts in this state are f*cking it up for everyone else in California by stymieing even debate on state-wide universal health care.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2019 07:34PM by Ponderer.
September 17, 2019 05:33PM
Just like chuckie did when he was in power? If you are naïve enough to blame one party, I really feel sorry for you.

But you're just a mindless parrot for Bernie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!