Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Democratic Presidential Candidates Should Agree To A Skunk Rule

Posted by Curt Anderson 
The Democratic Presidential Candidates Should Agree To A Skunk Rule
May 17, 2019 11:56PM
In table tennis, the first player to 21 points wins. But when one player reaches 11 points with a lead of ten or more points over their opponent the "skunk rule" is enacted and it's a win. The Democrats should agree to abide by a skunk rule and when they are realistically too far behind in the primaries to catch the front runner and end their campaigns. A candidate might mathematically have a shot, but at a certain point it's unrealistic. If a candidate is behind with five or more primaries remaining and to catch up, they would need to average 75% of the popular vote then they should drop out.
Re: The Democratic Presidential Candidates Should Agree To A Skunk Rule
May 18, 2019 01:35AM
The Hillary crowd is already freaking out. smiling smiley
May 18, 2019 03:00AM
Indy!
The Hillary crowd is already freaking out. smiling smiley

You are projecting. Bernie Bots and Tulsi Tots are already claiming their candidates are the victims of unfair media coverage, unfair polls, etc.

As for me, I am on record as saying I will support and vote for whoever wins the Democratic primary. Any Democrat running is miles closer to my views, politics and ethics than Trump. Btw, Biden isn't my first choice. I'd prefer somebody younger.

Because I want a Democrat to beat Trump, I don't want to see unnecessary and protracted primary if it's a fait accompli (that's fancy French talk for "done deal"), hence my call for enacting a skunk rule.
May 18, 2019 04:45AM
You can say it... "Tulsi"... it's easy.
May 18, 2019 11:30PM
I agree with your idea, Curt.

There was some good commentary on last night's RTw/BM on how having so many candidates could end up hurting the Ds.
May 19, 2019 12:23AM
Donna,
Thanks. I'd like see all the contestants sign a skunk rule pledge.

As I said, a protracted primary fight could hurt the eventual winner. But early on, I think it's a good thing that two dozen candidates are attacking Trump in their rallies, in interviews, in town halls, etc. There will be unavoidable infighting as the Democrats in the primary field is winnowed down, but it doesn't have to fatal to the eventual nominee.
May 19, 2019 12:25AM
When has it EVER been "fatal" to the eventual nominee?

And don't even try Hillary - you don't want to accidentally eliminate any board members by killing them with laughter.
May 19, 2019 12:55AM
Indy!
When has it EVER been "fatal" to the eventual nominee?

And don't even try Hillary - you don't want to accidentally eliminate any board members by killing them with laughter.

You said it, not me. When you are correct, it apparently only happens inadvertently:

TRUMP: I'm going to be borrowing some of Bernie's 'material' against Hillary
"Bernie Sanders has a message that's interesting," Trump said. "I'm going to be taking a lot of the things that Bernie said and using them."

"I can reread some of his speeches and I can get some very good material," he added.

Trump has already rolled out some of the Vermont senator's attack lines against Clinton. [finance.yahoo.com]

It happens practically every election to the losing major party nominee. For example, the Willy Horton issue was brought up by Al Gore (although not specifically by name, and not so nakedly racist) in the primaries against Michael Dukakis.
May 19, 2019 03:30AM
an idea only a statist could love

==========================================================================

I AM A RACIST

i saved you name-calling race dupes many keystrokes. you're welcome smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 03:31AM by txcup.
May 19, 2019 03:37AM
txcup,
I didn't say anything about polling percentages. But if you want to equate poll numbers with popular votes, and if Biden were to be winning primaries with 40% of the vote, another candidate could easily grab the lead with a lot less than the average 75% of the popular vote in remaining primaries, as I prescribed.
May 19, 2019 08:40PM
Good lord, Curt. If it "happens to everybody" as you just claimed - then obviously it's just another part of the game. Are we supposed to only run ONE candidate in each party? Why do we need primaries at all?

Holy cow... we're talking the BASICS, man... THE BASICS. eye rolling smiley
May 19, 2019 08:48PM
Curt Anderson
txcup,
I didn't say anything about polling percentages. But if you want to equate poll numbers with popular votes, and if Biden were to be winning primaries with 40% of the vote, another candidate could easily grab the lead with a lot less than the average 75% of the popular vote in remaining primaries, as I prescribed.

so dont let the later scheduled states have their say? and the media/publicity that goes along with it? their results can influence the general.....and the next cycle's primaries. they still matter.

curt, maybe have the primaries on the same day?

I AM A RACIST

i saved you name-calling race dupes many keystrokes. you're welcome smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 08:50PM by txcup.
May 19, 2019 11:11PM
Indy,
If you cannot understand yet why a skunk rule is a good idea, then are you being deliberately obtuse.

txcup,
If all the primaries were on the same day, then only the very best funded candidates could afford to run. The primary system allows lesser known and modestly funded candidates the chance to catch fire in smaller states like Iowa and New Hampshire and let the momentum carry them into the remaining states. Also in Iowa, New Hampshire and the other early primary states candidates actually meet and hear from voters, including intimate settings like people's living rooms and diners.

The remaining states don't need a "say" on candidates that don't have a mathematical or realistic chance of winning the nomination. As I said, table tennis has a skunk rule. Boxing doesn't let a boxer resume the fight after they were down for the ten second count. In track when a runner is about to be lapped they are supposed to go to an outside lane so they aren't hampering the other runners who have a chance of winning. It should be same thing in the primaries. People need to know when to quit, because it's not about any individual candidate, it's about a the party selecting a the most popular nominee (as determined by votes) with the best shot in the general election.
May 19, 2019 11:24PM
Curt Anderson
Indy,
If you cannot understand yet why a skunk rule is a good idea, then are you being deliberately obtuse.

"Understanding" and "good idea" are two mutually exclusive aspects of this equation. If you only want one candidate to have any chance of winning - move to Russia, comrade. smiling smiley
May 20, 2019 07:24AM
Curt Anderson
Indy,

txcup,
If all the primaries were on the same day, then only the very best funded candidates could afford to run. .

not with the internet. advertising is virtually free

although the vipers are working day/night to stop that

question --- which states get to go first? and last? how do you order them? small to large? large to small?

I AM A RACIST

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 07:26AM by txcup.
May 20, 2019 07:56AM
Txcup,
Except advertising on the internet isn't free (a fact that I appreciate). Nor is internet advertising enough. Just advertising isn't enough. Politicians need to meet people and hold rallies. The logistics of arranging events costs money. Transportation costs money. Having campaign staffs nationally and locally costs money. It's costly enough to try for a win or a decent showing in Iowa and New Hampshire. Imagine if the contest was on the same day across the entire country.
May 20, 2019 06:55PM
Exactly - which is why the whole argument about Putin somehow throwing the election over a few Facebook ads is ludicrous to anyone who understands how advertising works (especially on the internet).

BTW - you CAN advertise for virtually free on the internet. It won't work unless you're the most popular person on the planet or something - but you can do it.
May 20, 2019 07:37PM
Indy,
If you ever were involved in political advertising, you might remember that negative ads (attack ads) are more effective than positive ads. The bases (the fringe voters) are particularly susceptible to negative ads and messages, and likely repeat the message. You know, like your posts here claiming that Bernie was robbed. The Russians benefited from that fact.
May 20, 2019 08:11PM
Curt Anderson
Txcup,
Except advertising on the internet isn't free (a fact that I appreciate). Nor is internet advertising enough. Just advertising isn't enough. Politicians need to meet people and hold rallies. The logistics of arranging events costs money. Transportation costs money. Having campaign staffs nationally and locally costs money. It's costly enough to try for a win or a decent showing in Iowa and New Hampshire. Imagine if the contest was on the same day across the entire country.

it is free. see the trump army of posters. it overcame killary's GIANT mountain of cash

doesnt cost a dime to post on facebook....twitter....youtube...more, many more

the vipers freaked out after seeing it happen - and now are attacking it. a farking disgrace

I AM A RACIST

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 08:13PM by txcup.
May 20, 2019 09:33PM
Curt Anderson
Indy,
If you ever were involved in political advertising, you might remember that negative ads (attack ads) are more effective than positive ads. The bases (the fringe voters) are particularly susceptible to negative ads and messages, and likely repeat the message. You know, like your posts here claiming that Bernie was robbed. The Russians benefited from that fact.

The fact that you took your reply to that space tells us - once again - you have never worked in the advertising industry.
May 20, 2019 09:50PM
Indy!
Curt Anderson
Indy,

The fact that you took your reply to that space tells us - once again - you have never worked in the advertising industry.

Uh huh. This is an archived page from twenty years ago. See if you can find my name and title: [web.archive.org]
May 20, 2019 09:52PM
So Curt doesn't want to fix the DNC? I mean, they clearly rigged the primaries and are at it again. You are worried about Russians when you SHOULD be worried about actual collusion and screwing people that want to believe that you are a just party. Awful hard to claim the moral high ground when you crap on your own.

#walkaway

May 20, 2019 10:13PM
You were "marketing director" for a company that made pencil sharpeners? TWENTY years ago? THAT'S your "proof"? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2019 03:28AM by Curt Anderson.
May 21, 2019 03:29AM
Indy!
You were "marketing director" for a company that made pencil sharpeners? TWENTY years ago? THAT'S your "proof"? smiling smiley

Close. I was marketing director for a company that made industrial cutting tool sharpers, industrial drill bits mostly. That's how I was able to visit dozens of foreign countries and great American cities on the company dime all while being paid my salary of course. When I wasn't creating ads and videos, etc. I visited our international and domestic dealers.

SelectSmart.com is twenty years old.
May 21, 2019 06:26AM
Marketing tool sharpeners to farmers. I guess that could be stretched to fit the term "marketing"... if one is incredibly desperate.
May 21, 2019 06:29AM
Where'd you get "farmers" from?
May 21, 2019 06:32PM
His ass.
May 21, 2019 06:42PM
Oh - excuse me for not knowing what kind of places might actually have a need for "industrial tool sharpeners". eye rolling smiley
May 21, 2019 07:24PM
Indy!
Oh - excuse me for not knowing what kind of places might actually have a need for "industrial tool sharpeners". eye rolling smiley

I would have guessed [i[industry[/i].
May 21, 2019 07:27PM
If you needed to guess - you definitely weren't any good at "marketing". Now - let me guess - your "marketing" job mostly entailed putting together the company newsletter every month and making sure there was always plenty of coffee available in the lunchroom.... right?
May 21, 2019 07:35PM
uh huh.

If we can keep this thread near the top, maybe we can get people talking about the need for a skunk rule. I happy to have Donna agree with the idea. Let's keep it going!
May 21, 2019 07:40PM
For what it's worth, I think we also need a skunk rule for this forum.
May 21, 2019 08:09PM
Donna
For what it's worth, I think we also need a skunk rule for this forum.

That cracked me up!
May 21, 2019 08:15PM
Give me one example of where the skunk rule would have changed anything. Your pet candidate Hillary would have still have got her ass handed to her either way - Bernie (being the most popular candidate in the race BY FAR ) would not have qualified for your un-American skunk rule.

Ooops.

But thanks for fessing up on the newsletter thing. It was pretty obvious from your advertising commentary on the board here - but still nice that you gave up the ghost finally.
May 21, 2019 08:32PM
"Either way?" Wow, somehow can foretell the outcome of future events didn't happen. I'd have more faith in prognostications if you could correctly report past events. Bernie was NOT the most popular candidate. He lost. He only won 43% of the votes in the primaries. He's currently being crushed by Biden in the polls. See [www.realclearpolitics.com]
May 21, 2019 08:41PM
I doubt if Bernie would have qualified for ousting in 2016 under Curt's skunk rule, at least not early on.

I think if you're still polling at 1% going into Iowa, it's time for the Vaudeville Hook.
May 23, 2019 02:09AM
43% would mean skunk him? Wow. I'm guessing you need 49.9% to not get "the hook"? Unless - of course - if the "favored" candidate is Hillary. Then the guy getting skunked can have 100% support and we still have to eliminate him to give Hillary a shot at looking like a fool losing to the next game show host... right? smoking smiley
May 23, 2019 02:11AM
Yes, exactly that. eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!