Try These Selectors:
Best college values

Good jobs in gig economy

Right religion for you

Presidential candidates

Best US city for you

Know your philosophy

Landmark decisions
Is your name welcomed below? Then you can post here. Otherwise, click "Log In" to post!
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Years later, pb, my thesis is still ringing true...

Posted by Ponderer 
Years later, pb, my thesis is still ringing true...
February 03, 2015 09:52AM
Prevalence* of Self-Reported Obesity Among U.S. Adults by State and Territory, BRFSS, 2013

"The South [i.e. The Bible Belt] had the highest prevalence of obesity (30.2%), followed by the Midwest (30.1%), the Northeast (26.5%), and the West (24.9%)." -cdc.gov

More than two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese (Ogden et al., 2014). In general, rates of overweight and obesity are higher for African-American and Hispanic women than Caucasian women, higher for Hispanic men than Caucasian and African-American men, higher in the South and Midwest, and tend to increase with age (Ogden et al., 2014; Gregg et al., 2009; Sherry et al., 2010). Research also shows that the heaviest Americans have become even heavier the past decade (Beydoun & Wang, 2009)." -frac.org

I say it's pretty well settled: The popularity of Christianity in Southern states is causing obesity there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 07:16PM by Ponderer.
Re: Years later, my thesis is still ringing true...
February 03, 2015 04:36PM
I remember this thesis. Pretty funny. Is PB even around to see that your thesis has been upheld by the evidence?
February 03, 2015 05:04PM
If he is and if child poverty has gotten any worse for any reason at all, I'm sure he'll chime back in to cheer on his "thesis".

February 03, 2015 08:51PM
Either that or the South has better food. smileys with beer
February 04, 2015 01:14AM
I sea what you did there
February 04, 2015 02:04AM
Nope. I will accept no other possible explanations or causes. My thesis will be borne out more and more as time goes on.

February 06, 2015 08:59PM
Jethro Tull are heretics.

[www.youtube.com]
February 15, 2015 12:12PM
February 23, 2015 02:56AM
Indy!
Jethro Tull are heretics.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for that Indy ! That link took me into an hour long session of watching Mr. Ian Anderson and Tull going through their repertoire. Great stuff, brings back a lot of memories !

As to the OP, the southern diet is generally more lipid and trans-fat soaked than other parts of the USA. Does that have any cultural connection to Xtianity ? I can't say that for sure, but perhaps so. I really don't know enough about the deep south to know and I'm not much of a Christian myself save for my forced RC childhood. But many hardcore USA Xtians don't consider RCs to be Xtians anyway, which is historically ridiculous. (Not that I really care that much)
February 23, 2015 04:25PM
"He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made fat." -Proverbs 28:25

God said trust in Him and He'll make you fat. The portions of the country that are most Christian are the fattest. Badda boom.

I wish I'd challenged pb to find a Bible verse that directly supported his "thesis" so literally and directly.

February 23, 2015 09:07PM
Ponderer
"He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the Lord shall be made fat." -Proverbs 28:25

God said trust in Him and He'll make you fat. The portions of the country that are most Christian are the fattest. Badda boom.

I wish I'd challenged pb to find a Bible verse that directly supported his "thesis" so literally and directly.

You have made your case (and fat they have become !)

Edited to add - Something I remember from Jethro Tull.
" When I was young, and they packed me off to school, and taught me how not to play the game.
I didn't mind that they groomed me for success, or if they said that I was just a fool.
I don't believe you, you have the whole damn thing all wrong, he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sunday.
You can excommunicate me, on my way to Sunday school, have all your bishops come and I'll reply"

I cannot remember the name of that, but I think it was on the "Aqualung" album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2015 11:51PM by Cincinnatus.
March 05, 2015 04:46PM
July 26, 2018 02:11AM
Flattery will get no no more business.
August 07, 2018 07:18PM
Actually, it got them deleted, angel.

Re: Years later, pb, my thesis is still ringing true...
September 08, 2018 12:24AM
Well good. I am glad to see that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

This forum powered by Phorum

Cookies Consent Policy & Privacy Statement. All Rights Reserved. SelectSmart® is a registered trademark. | Contact SelectSmart.com | Advertise on SelectSmart.com | This site is for sale!